Problem in Sequencer while in between loop

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

this_is_venki
Participant

Problem in Sequencer while in between loop

Post by this_is_venki »

Hi,

I have a JOB which loads several no. of sequential files in a table.
No. of files is not fixed ,it is a variable.So I have used START_LOOP_ACTIVITY& END_LOOP_ACTIVITY stages to load the same.
Also, a Seqencer is used in the loop.
But it is not working properly as it gives the message "Entered in Sequencer but never exited".
I get the same error sometimes after 3 files being loaded ,sometimes after 6 files. I mean to say it is unpredictable that after how many iteration of loop the SEQUENCER will stop working. Moreover Job doesn't give any error rather it is finished properly.

Can someone provide any pointers?

Thanks,
Venky
kris007
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kris007 »

If you can explain your Job design then it would be more helpful to debug your problem. What is the Sequencer in your loop doing? and what is the condition in sequencer set to..is it ANY or ALL?
Kris

Where's the "Any" key?-Homer Simpson
this_is_venki
Participant

Post by this_is_venki »

Job design is like this...
I have to load several sqeuential files in a table.
These sequential files are generated by a system on daily basis but sometimes if system doesn't generate file in that day then it is supposed to generate 2 files in next day & so on.
To be more generic, there are multiples files are being genreated in a day.
Now suppose I have to load the files of last 10 days.
But it is not the guarantee that 1 file belongs to only one day there could be multiple files in that day & could also not be a single file that day.
To impelement this logic, I have used two loops.
One is counting the days (outer loop) & another is counting the files(inner loop) in a day. I have used SEQUENCER under outer loop with option 'ANY'. Before the SEQUENCER there is nested condition if There is/are files on that day then only go to in inner loop.Finally both the links(true/false) from Nested Condition go into SEQUENCER. Then this Sequencer forwords the link to outer loop to increment the day.Similarly,
it checks for next day if there are files it goes into inner loop & load the files in a table one at a time & then goes into Sequencer. This Job runs until the Outer loop is exceeded its condition.

Now I am facing the problem that after loading some files, job is finished with message (netiher it is warning nor error) that 'Entered in Sequencer but never exited).
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Is there a link from your End Loop activity back to your Start Loop activity? Can you please post your loop-generating expression from the Start Loop activity?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
this_is_venki
Participant

Post by this_is_venki »

Hi Ray,
Thanks for your input.
Ya, End_Loop_Activity is having link to Start_Loop_Activity.

There are many stages have been used in between the loop so the expression generated in Job Control is not looking me feasible to post here as the expression lines are more than 2000.

Can we trace the porblem in other way around?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

That's not what I asked for. Please post the expression that generates the "list of things" processed by the loop. It's a property of the Start Loop activity.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
this_is_venki
Participant

Post by this_is_venki »

Hi Ray,
I didn't get u. How can we see that loop generating expresion.
But my guess is...when we go to property of Start_Loop_Activity,tab 'Start Loop'.

it is like this
Loop Type=Numeric Loop(For Counter=n to nc step inc)
Loop definition
from=1
step=1
To=#Variable#.Counter (It is the variable)

If it not what u wanted know.Can u please elaborate it further?

Thanks,
Venky
this_is_venki
Participant

Post by this_is_venki »

Still facing the problem. Can anyone please take this & suggest some pointers?

Thanks,
Venky