Data Set Usage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

dvn_ascential
Participant

Data Set Usage

Post by dvn_ascential »

Hi all

This is a wonderful site and thanks to all for their posts.

Iam a newbie in Ascential datastage.

I need to design a job which can concetenate 3 columns from a table, 3 cols from another table and 2 cols from a view and give an output with all 8 cols.

I have designed 3 jobs to accepts table cols in ODBC stage and give out .ds files at the output.

Now i have designed one more job which has 3 data set stages at input, a funnel and a data set stage at the output.

The problem is what should i load in the output -> colums tab of the data set stage at input?? I mean which kind of file should i choose while importing in the table definitions window to load the colums of .ds file.

Plz respond.
Thanks
Regards
Valli
ashwin141
Participant

Data Set Usage

Post by ashwin141 »

Welcome to DSXchange.

Can you please clearly tell what your problem is?
If its about loading the target metadata(coloumns) then you can directly map the source coloumns in traget file, if you don't have a define metadata for target. About stage, you can load coloumns in any of file stages.

Regards
Ashwin
rwierdsm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Data Set Usage

Post by rwierdsm »

Hi dvn_ascential and welcome aboard :!: ,

Sounds like you're trying to define the metadata in your input Data Set stages in the funnel job that writes to the target table. If I've understood your question correctly, here's what you need to do.

You need to save the meta data of each of the three Data Sets you have created. Once that has been done, import the meta data into the three Data Set stages in your funnel job.

This can be accomplished by doing the following for each of the three Data Set stages in the three database read jobs:
- enter the properties of the Data Set stage
- click on the Output tab
- click on the Columns tab
- press the Save button
- enter a location to save the meta data

Now you need to read in the meta data for each of the Data Set stages in your funnel job. Here's the steps:
- enter the properties of the Data Set stage
- click on the Input tab
- click on the Columns tab
- press the Load button
- navigate to the location where you loaded your meta data
- load the meta data

Hope this helps.

Rob
Rob Wierdsma
Toronto, Canada
bartonbishop.com
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Do you want eight columns per row in the target, or three? This is not clear from the original statement of requirement, but will certainly affect your choice of stage types in your design.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.