environmental variable password?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

mctny
Charter Member
Charter Member

environmental variable password?

Post by mctny »

hello Everyone,

I have a quick question,

is it possible to write $PROFDEF for the value of a password in the job properties of a sequence, if I give the real value of this password in environmental value in the administrator?

or should we use #$PROJDEF#

I am very confused

also if you could help me which password override which, i.e,. environmental value -> sequence ->job?

-> means override above,

thanks
Cetin
Thanks,
Chad

Post by ray.wurlod »

You can certainly use environment variables for passwords; indeed, the Administrator client allows you to use encrypted environment variables.

Use this as any other environment variable job parameter reference; in a passive stage the reference must be surrounded by "#" characters. If you always use the helper tool ("Insert job parameter") you will always get it right.

$PROJDEF is a special token used as the default value when setting up the job parameter. The name of the environment variable should be something more meaningful, such as $DBPWD. Therefore, a reference to it would be #$DBPWD# in a passive stage. When prompted for during a run request, its default value will display as $PROJDEF; optionally you can type in a replacement password (and will need to for View Data).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
mctny
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by mctny »

Thank you for the explanation, I am still having problem, with accessing SQL server DB ( ODBC stage) through DS PX job which is called by a sequence,

when I go to the job, and view data in the sequence, it works fine and I can view the data,
when I run the seq, it says username/password not correct,

so is it because of the environmental variable or because of the parameters for the sequence?
Thanks,
Chad
Charter Member

Post by Andet »

Did you verify that the sequencer has the parameter defined and is passing it
'as is' to the job?

Ande
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

What do you mean by "when I go to the job, and view data in the sequence"
If you have passing the value from the sequence to the job, though the value is defined in project level, the sequence will get the preference.
If you claim $PROJDEF in Jobsequence, it will fetch the value at the time of execution from DS Adminstrator.
While 'View Data' it will prompt for value, and which will show you the default value given in the job.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

View Data does not work with $PROJDEF as the default value; you must replace it with an actual password when prompted. Just for View Data; it works fine when processing data.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
mctny
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by mctny »

sorry the sentence " when I go to the job, and view data in the sequence " should be "when I go to the job, and view data in the stage "

I am not entering anyvalue when trying to view data on the stage, the password comes by default. when I checked the sequence parameters I saw that there was another password variable that needs to be changed in the DS administrator, so I changed that password there and it worked,

so I guess, environmental variable overrides sequence password and sequence password overrides job level password? is it true?
Thanks,
Chad
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

It depends on how you configured the Sequence. If you had give the $PROJDEF in JobSequence, it gets the value from Project level setting. Since, JobSequence is the point where the whole parameter value is been passed, your assertion will be right.
If by chance parameter doesnt match each other, the order will be the other way around.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
mctny
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by mctny »

kumar_s wrote:It depends on how you configured the Sequence. If you had give the $PROJDEF in JobSequence, it gets the value from Project level setting. Since, JobSequence is the point where the whole parameter value is been passed, your assertion will be right.
If by chance parameter doesnt match each other, the order will be the other way around.
Mine is the first case, thank you very much for the clarification
Thanks,
Chad