length of strings in jobparameters

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

jasper
Participant

length of strings in jobparameters

Post by jasper »

Hi,
I'm now working on an internal audit system, that as always should be as generic as possible. It should show differences between our systems. eg: a customer that is in the sale system but not in the billing system, or that has important differences in both systems

What I was planning to do:
create a config table which would mainly hold 2 queries (select the customer in the sale system and in the billing system. Data would be coming out in a fixed format key1-x, value 1-x.
this I send to a diff-stage or change capture. This gives me customers in one system both not in the other and customer different in both systems.

Now the workflow I think would need to select all records in the config table and then loop a job that would have query1 and 2 as jobparameters.

questions:
- any comments about this high-level setup? wuold you do it in a completely different way?
-jobparameters: the queries can be quite big, is there any constraint on the size of these strings? I think I'll anyway have to write them without any formatting, comments,... so purely one line of sql.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

No practical limit.

There may be a limit to the length that you can enter as a default value, imposed by the grid control rather than by the underlying technology.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

I think you should limit it to the maximum length that your implementation allows for command line length, as that will effectively limit what length strings can be passed using the dsjob command.
jasper
Participant

Post by jasper »

I was actually thinking of looping inside datastage.

so:
job to get number of audits
LOOP for 1to number
get queries
run auditjob
END loop.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

In that case I wouldn't worry about the length of your parameter as you are using DataStage (server) strings which are limited by your available user virtual memory (if malloc() can allocate space, it can be added to the string)