Reg. Restartability of the DataStage job Sequencer

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

panchusrao2656
Charter Member
Charter Member

Reg. Restartability of the DataStage job Sequencer

Post by panchusrao2656 »

We are trying to kick of three different jobs(Job Sequencers) parallaly with the help of a Job Sequencer. There are two Sequence Job activities one with ANY and other with ALL types and two notification activities which sends mails upon success or failure of any three activities.

Here we are supposed to use the DataStage Restartability. Whenever a job fails, failure notification activity is sending an email and the main sequencer is taking the success status of that Notification activity as it is the last activity of that sequencer.As a result we are loosing the Restartability.

In order to avoid this case, i used the Abort activity to set the Main Sequencer status Abort, as the sequencer is in abort stage i was able to restart the job Sequecer where it left off.( This logic was working fine when my jobs are running sequentially one after other and am able to use the DataStage restartability).

Abort activity is sending stop requests to all the other jobs that were running when ever one of my three jobs(running simultaneously) failed.

1. I want the remaining jobs to be completed with out any interruption and report the main sequencer that they are successful.

2. The status of the main sequencer to be Abort so that i can restart the job that was aborted.

I used all the options that the Abort activity has, jobs are getting SigInts(Stop requests) and getting aborted.

Can you please share your ideas.

Thank You

Srinivas
abby77
Participant

Re: Reg. Restartability of the DataStage job Sequencer

Post by abby77 »

Can you put a picture of the setup.
I think you should not put the email task in series and put it like a parallel flow
-Abraham
panchusrao2656
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by panchusrao2656 »

<< --- Job1--->>

Seq(Any) <<---Job2--->> Seq(ALL) --->SUCESS (Notification)

<<---Job3--->>

FAILURE (Notification) ---->> ABORT( Sets the Sequencer status to Abort)

If Job2 Failed, i don't want to stop the Jobs 1 & 3 and my sequncer should get the status Abort (3 for abort). So when i run restart the sequencer agian, it has to kick of only Job1 as Jobs 1 & 3 are successful during earlier run.

Please let me know if you need more details.
kris007
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kris007 »

Could you be more specific with your job design?

I didn't understand why you have put two triggers from job2 to two seperate sequencer stages. Both the sequencer's are gonna kickoff when your Job2 finishes. How are your triggers coming out of Job2 defined? Are they set to OK or Failed or Unconditional?

I am assuming you are not having any triggers coming from or into Job1 and Job3. Is that right?

Or is it that you have three outputs coming from ANY sequencer and going into Job1, Job2 and Job3 and then three triggers coming out of them into the ALL sequencer stage?

Also, how are you kicking off the FAILURE Notification Activity and setting the sequencer( I don't know if you are talking about the Job sequence or a Sequencer stage..I am confused ) status to ABORT?
Kris

Where's the "Any" key?-Homer Simpson
panchusrao2656
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by panchusrao2656 »

I didnot put two triggers from Job2, these are two sequence activities one on both side for success of all jobs or failure of any job.