USS System ?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

hhh
Participant

USS System ?

Post by hhh »

what is USS System and full form of USS ? What are performance issues if we install datastage(Enterprise edition) on USS system rather than unix system ? diffrentiate between USS and Unix ?
Please share your ideas on this topic.

Regards
Hiten
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Between Google and Wikipedia, it's amazing what you can lookup on your own. For instance: USS - a.k.a. UNIX System Services.

ps. Just a starting point.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Chapter 8 of the DataStage Installation and Upgrade Guide (dsupgde.pdf in your manuals folder) describes the installation process on USS, which is a partition of a mainframe running "UNIX". There are some questions in the certification exam on USS.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ramesh_dw
Participant

Post by ramesh_dw »

We tried a POC with USS recently. You need to have a DataStage EE installed in an UNIX m/c in addition to the USS installation, for doing your development.

The objective of the USS software is to enable parallel processing w.r.t to data available in the Mainframe servers. You will be getting very good performance in doing that compared to accessing the data using DB2 API stage. Beware when you try to run jobs in parallel in USS it will cost you MIPS.

Ramesh
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

It is my understanding that USS is to mainframes like MKS Toolkit is to Windows. It is a UNIX emulator that runs under a different OS.
Mamu Kim
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

kduke wrote:It is my understanding that USS is to mainframes like MKS Toolkit is to Windows. It is a UNIX emulator that runs under a different OS.
Simplified. Highly simplified. But gets the idea across satisfactorily.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

Nothing is truly simple on a mainframe. Is it Ray?
Mamu Kim
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I contemplated a 15 paragraph answer to that question, but will settle on "I agree.".
manuel.gomez
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by manuel.gomez »

ray.wurlod wrote:Chapter 8 of the DataStage Installation and Upgrade Guide (dsupgde.pdf in your manuals folder) describes the installation process on USS
I do have this document from version 7.0.1 (December 2003) and makes no references at all to USS systems and installation.
Actually, chapter 8 for this document is Troubleshooting.

Where can I find info about DX installation on USS? I am going through certification exam (Enterprise 7.5) next wednesday, and could not read a single word about it