Trouble with special characters using FTP Stage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Can you select Unicode in the Extended column of the Columns grid? Does that help?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
sud
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by sud »

ray.wurlod wrote:Can you select Unicode in the Extended column of the Columns grid? Does that help?
Hi,

I tried out the desribed scenario with the mentioned string and got this warning :

Code: Select all

APT_CombinedOperatorController,0: Illegal character conversion found converting from UTF-8.
The problem is with all extended ascii characters. In my box, I am not getting the Unicode option in the extended column.

The funny thing is that, I tried to ftp the file from the same box to the same box in Unix and got the file in correct format. So, datastage is using UTF-8 and is doing the conversion. Is NLS needed to be installed and the NLS map has to be specified ?
It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for ETL, but I couldn't give it up because by that time I was too famous.
kld05
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kld05 »

Exactly. I tried a Unix to Unix ftp also prior to posting and got the correct result. The unicode option is also not an available for me in the extended column.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Sounds like your best approach is to run the FTP via an Execute Command activity (or a before-job subroutine ExecSH or ExecSHSilent) and process the local file, rather than to use the FTP stage.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.