Email as input

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

bcpeck
Participant

Email as input

Post by bcpeck »

I have a situation where data that I need to capture is already being sent via email to a number of recipients. The emails could easily have a new account added as a CC: address.

The problem then is how to read the emails from the new account and land their text into sequential files for DataStage to read as input.

Has anyone done this? What did you use? Since it doesn't seem to be a native function or a plug-in, I assume it would be a POP reading program.

Thanks in advance,

Brian Peck
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

I have (in days past) used DataStage to read files directly from a UNIX SMTP system, but it is much better to use a script and someofficial mail reader program. You can issue a DSExecute to a shell and capture the output of the mails contents into a DataStage job.
Chuah
Participant

Post by Chuah »

Hi,
If you're using Lotus Notes ,you can write a Notes macro (Agent) to detach the file and save it to your Notes server.Then you can use the ftp stage in DS to pick up the file.
If your data is in an email attachment,same thing you need to write a script to detach the file and save it.

You will also need to ask your email admin to provide you with ftp access to your email server.

CE