MPP Vs SMP

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sswarup
Participant

MPP Vs SMP

Post by sswarup »

Hi,

Is is better to have DataStage EE on an MPP architecture? What are the pros and cons of using an SMP architecuture?

Regards
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

MPP shared nothing architecture. Which is more costly when compared to the similar hardware configuration of SMP. Another merit, installation and maintanance on SMP would be more easiar than MPP. Even the lisencing issue.
MPP is faster than SMP due to its demerit of Shared nothing architecture.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Google University. Thats the best place to start. Just copy paste your title for this post in google and see how much info you get. And if you get time, list out what you got for others. You never know, you might become a hero :twisted:
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
sud
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by sud »

Hi Kumar,

I could not follow why u consider a demerit. As far as performance is concerned MPP will outperform SMP.

:?
It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for ETL, but I couldn't give it up because by that time I was too famous.
sswarup
Participant

Post by sswarup »

My question is more specific to DataStage EE and not a generic comparison between SMP and MPP.

Specifically, is there any advantage of using EE on a SMP architecture? By doing so, will we not defeat the basic purpose of parallel extender? If we use SMP, don't you think simply using Server Edition be better as it avoids a lot of maintenance?

What about flexibility? With EE on MPP, we can separate complex jobs that run simultaneously on different config files so as to limit impact of one on another. Do you think we will be able to achieve this with SMP?
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

My basic point remains the same. These topics have been covered time and again over here. Please try to use the search facility. Search on SMP MPP (search for all the terms option). All will be revealed.
Try this for a start.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

One of the demerit of MPP system is, it is costly when compared to other archiecture due to large hardware set. Evren memory should be seperated for each CPU. Due to the same reason it gives the performace boost.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'