web service to call sequence job

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

stivazzi
Participant

web service to call sequence job

Post by stivazzi »

hi to all!
is it possible to call a RTIenabled sequence job from a java (or c#) web service? or can i only call some kinds of jobs? parallel or server?

Thanks a lot!
Andrea
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Check the job properties. Is there an RTI Service Enabled check box? That is your answer.

For those who don't have RTI, the answer is that RTI is available for server and parallel jobs, but not for job sequences. The reason is that, if you publish a DataStage job as a web service, it must have some mechanism for receiving data from, and returning data to, the client of the web service. Job sequences do not, of themselves, process data.
Last edited by ray.wurlod on Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
stivazzi
Participant

Post by stivazzi »

>>Check the job properties. Is there an RTI Enabled check box?

that's why i was asking this...
i can see RTI enabled check box only in server jobs...
does it mean i can call only server jobs, from a web service?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

It means you can 'RTI enable' Server, TX or PX jobs but not Sequence jobs.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
sud
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by sud »

Hey,

This post, reminds me of a similar requirement. Would really appreciate if anyone can throw some light on this.

We had a requirement where we wanted to run a job on-demand, when certain changes were made to a field in a database. It is something like, a field's value is changed from null to 'ready' and u start your job. We dealt with this by creating a looping job which checks the state everytime and starts the on-demand job whenever necessary.

Is there a better way of doing this ? Through web-service calls if possible ?

We are using Oracle databse.

Thanks in advance :)
It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for ETL, but I couldn't give it up because by that time I was too famous.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Old design

Code: Select all

stage1 ----> stage2 ----> stage3
or some variant thereof.

New design

RTI_Input ----> stage1 ----> stage2 ----> stage3 ----> RTI_Output
or, more likely (if the web service is to deal with XML documents)

RTI_Input ----> XML_Input ----> stage1 ----> stage2 ----> stage3 ----> XML_Output ----> RTI_Output
You then publish the RTI-enabled job (which becomes an always-running job, perhaps with multiple instances) as a web service. It's all in the relevant manuals.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.