target DRS stage to MSSQL causing corruption.

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Ultramundane
Participant

target DRS stage to MSSQL causing corruption.

Post by Ultramundane »

All character datatypes are getting truncated by one character. So, a char(10) is getting implicitly truncated to a char(9). This is happening when DRS stage is used as target stage for MSSQL data. Not only is this causing corruption on the database, but it is also causing datastage to log hundreds of MB's of log messages because of constraint violations.
bmadhav
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by bmadhav »

I have seen the same problem with DRS stage when loading into SQL server. Use the ODBC Enterprise stage instead, u will not face truncation issues.
Ultramundane
Participant

Post by Ultramundane »

Thanks...

Except that ODBC stage has other problems. It is not recognizing parameters at times correctly. This product is junk. Corrupts my data left and right. And, Ascential is slow and their support staff is not very knowledgable. Case after case after case of bug fixes and bug fixes for bug fixes. Never have I worked with a product or company as bad as Ascential!!!
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

No one is forcing you to use it. Hundreds, even thousands, of users are quite happy with it.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Ultramundane
Participant

Post by Ultramundane »

No one is forcing me to eat or drink or either. Just because billions of people are doing it why should I? It is not a forcing or have to matter. It is a want to more than want to not matter, so that I can eat and drink.

That doesn't change the fact that the product is terrible. Any product in my opinion that causes data corruption is terrible. I don't excpect this product to be bug free. However, I do expect that it will not cause data corruption. How can I trust a product that says a job completed successfully, just to find a few months later that it is loading data that has been corrupted.

I think this could be a good joke!!! Except, that I am not laughing as we unfortunately own this data obfuscation product.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

All I can say is that my experience is different. I have never encountered any data corruption attributable to DataStage. Maybe I design differently, maybe I haven't used the DRS enough. Or the Data Direct ODBC driver for SQL Server.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.