Sort Stage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

lokesh_dhiran
Participant

Sort Stage

Post by lokesh_dhiran »

hi,
I wanted to know the basic difference between the Datastage Sort and the UNIX sort. these two options are provided in the Sort stage and am not able to figure out the internal working
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Welcome aboard. :D

These are fairly well described in the Sort stage chapter in the Parallel Job Developer's Guide as well as in the on-line help for the stage. Have you looked at either of these?

Please post the results of your research. This is a sharing site.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
atulghate
Participant

Post by atulghate »

DataStage sort uses the built-in DataStage sorter, you
do not require any additional software to use this option.

UNIX sort specifies that the UNIX sort command is used to
perform the sort.
DEVESHASTHANA
Participant

hi lokesh

Post by DEVESHASTHANA »

yes..lokesh ...

i also try to find it in the operator reference and other help docs.. it is not specified anywhere that how it sort in UNIX... wether it sorts on the basis of Primary key or secondary key.... or both

if anyone find something on this pls share,
but ideally what we do is that we use datastage sort if there are more than one key :) instead of unix sort,

regards,
Devesh
lokesh_dhiran
Participant

Post by lokesh_dhiran »

ray.wurlod wrote:Welcome aboard. :D

These are fairly well described in the Sort stage chapter in the Parallel Job Developer's Guide as well as in the on-line help for the stage. Have you looked at either of these?

Please post the results of your research. This is a sharing site.
In the manual these are the exact words which are written.
DataStage sort uses the built-in DataStage sorter, you
do not require any additional software to use this option.

UNIX sort specifies that the UNIX sort command is used to
perform the sort.

The problem which i am facing is that I have Deptno as my primary key and EmpNo as my secondary key. so when i select Datastage as the sort medium then proper sorting is done o the secondary key. but this is not the case with unix sort. I was not able to make out the difference in the working. Please help me out.
Regards,
Lokesh Dhiran
Associate Consultant
Kanbay Inc.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

If you use a UNIX sort you need to specify the UNIX sort command options that identify the sort key (usually -k, but this might be qualified by other options such as the delimiter option, the sort order option, and so on). On UNIX execute man sort to learn what the options are on your particular UNIX.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

You can find a interesting discussion here.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'