Routine

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

samba
Premium Member
Premium Member

Routine

Post by samba »

Can i call server routine in parallel job, if it is possible how to call routine in before/after job subroutine, its not available under before/after job subroutine, can u please help me regarding this
samba
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Server routines can be called in parallel jobs:

a) in the job Before/After
b) from BASIC transform stages
samba
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by samba »

what are Basic transformation can u explain me
samba
balajisr
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by balajisr »

Basic transformer is a stage in PX just like any other stages like copy,modify.. It is similar in functionality to server edition transfomer. You can call server routines in px just the way you call the server routine in server edition.Please read chapter 17 in parallel job developer guide for more information as to how to use the stage.
Roopanwita
Participant

Can we call it in normal Transformer?

Post by Roopanwita »

Can we call it in normal Transformer?As in my pallate I am not able to see Basic Transformer(Parallel Extender 7.5.1) and in my source data one date column is coming as '1-Jan-2000',(Source is sequential File) and I need to convert it into dd/mm/yyyy format .I wrote a server routine for converson,but I am unable to call this routine in Transformer.
Roopanwita
Participant

Can we call it in normal Transformer?

Post by Roopanwita »

Can we call it in normal Transformer?As in my pallate I am not able to see Basic Transformer(Parallel Extender 7.5.1) and in my source data one date column is coming as '1-Jan-2000',(Source is sequential File) and I need to convert it into dd/mm/yyyy format .I wrote a server routine for converson,but I am unable to call this routine in Transformer.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It's preferable to use parallel functions rather than server routines in parallel jobs. Your transformation can be readily achieved using DateToString() nested inside StringToDate() if the source and target data types are date or the reverse nesting if the data types are string.

BASIC Transformer stage can be found in the Stage Types branch of the Repository. That it is not in the Palette is deliberate (though you can customize your Palette) because they would prefer that you don't use it.

:idea:
Stop using a server job mindset when creating parallel jobs.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

balajisr wrote:Basic transformer is a stage in PX just like any other stages like copy,modify.. It is similar in functionality to server edition transfomer. You can call server routines in px just the way you call the server routine in server edition.Please read chapter 17 in parallel job developer guide for more information as to how to use the stage.
And then avoid using them if at all possible. Think Parallel not Server - and as Ray notes, there's a reason it's not on the pallete by default.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers