Job aborts without fatal error

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

soham296
Participant

Job aborts without fatal error

Post by soham296 »

Hi ppl,

I have a strange problem here. I have a job which aborts, but it does not throw any fatal error. When i look into the job log, everything runs fine, suddenly it gives "Attempting to cleanup after ABORT raised in ......". It usually gives this after a fatal error. But here we donot have a single fatal error. Any clues ppl ??

thanx
Soham
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Do a job reset and look at the entry for "from previous run". This happens when a job aborts and cannot handle the exception/error itself.
Bill_G
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Bill_G »

Another option that I find helpful, and gives more information, is from the job log in Director select Print from the Project menu. Then in the Print dialogue, select 'Full Details' and 'Print to File'.

This will sometimes give you a little more info than GUI based log.
soham296
Participant

Post by soham296 »

thanx ppl..the error started coming on changing the NLS settings. I changed it to UTF8. The error is that it cannot read from the OCI stages. Everything was running fine in DEV. When we migrated to PROD, all the jobs that read from a OCI started giving errors. The error is OCI_INVALID_HANDLE. The ones that writes to a OCI, runs fine. Any clues on this one ??
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

If you are using server then only you can change the NLS setting to UTF-8 else for Parallel jobs you will beed UTF-16.
For server or parallel jobs make sure that all your maps are loaded in the server locales if you are using the mapping.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
soham296
Participant

OCI_INVALID_HANDLE

Post by soham296 »

Hi,

This one is a separate problem. Nothing to do with UTF8. I was not able to see the fatal error and the job aborted without throwing any error. Now i can see the error after changing NLS to UTF8.
Now that I can see the error, the errors says OCI_INVALID_HANDLE. This is happening whenever i ttry to read from a OCI stage. But when i write to a OCI stage, it works fine. Can u plz help me on this one ??

thanks
Soham
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Is this a server job (as per the original post) or a parallel job (the forum on which you posted it)? If you reset your change does it work again? If so, the change is the culprit.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
soham296
Participant

Post by soham296 »

Thanks ray ...i would rather close ths thread here. This "multithreading" :) seems to be creating confusion. I will carry on with the other post

thanks
Soham