dsjob command not working

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ds1user1
Participant

dsjob command not working

Post by ds1user1 »

Hi

When i am issuing dsjob -run command from unix command line it is displaying command not found.why is this happening.

Thanks
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Because your profile does not include the DS Engine/bin directory in your PATH. Do "cat /.dshome" to see where the DS Engine resides.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

This is NOT a DataStage problem. It is purely a problem between the keyboard and the chair, where you do not understand that each executable has to be findable, either because you enter its full pathname or because you have its directory in your command search path (recorded in the PATH environment variable).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ds1user1
Participant

Post by ds1user1 »

kcbland wrote:Because your profile does not include the DS Engine/bin directory in your PATH. Do "cat /.dshome" to see where the DS Engine resides. ...
It says cannot open /.dshome.

Thanks
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Not to ask a stupid question, but are you sure you're telnet'd to the right server? If you are, then look to see if DS is installed. "ps -ef |grep dsrpc" should show the daemon running. If you don't see it, you're probably on the wrong server. If you do see it, then the .dshome file shows where the DS Engine is installed. If that's not there, then you're going to have to find out the hard way or ask your Unix admin.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Could be someone has tightened the permissions on /.dshome too much, could be that an itag installation has been done, so you need the DSHOME environment variable instead. And, as Ken suggests, you may not be on the actual server.

"Unemployment" is not working.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
devnull
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by devnull »

ray.wurlod wrote:Could be someone has tightened the permissions on /.dshome too much, could be that an itag installation has been done, so you need the DSHOME environment variable instead. And, as Ken suggests, you may not be on the actual server.

"Unemployment" is not working.
I had no idea anyone had a .dshome file in the root directory. You mean it is not a common practice to use the DSHOME environment variable?
Michael Mabin
Minneapolis, MN USA
d3vvnull@com.gmail
(Reverse com and gmail to send email)
Krishna Nair
Participant

Post by Krishna Nair »

Code: Select all

I had no idea anyone had a .dshome file in the root directory.  You mean it is not a common practice to use the DSHOME environment variable?[/quote]
Well, I'am quite new to Datastage PX and as far as i have explored i think all the environment variables get set in the dsenv file under $DSHOME which is sourced in each Datastage user's profile. Would like to know where the user defined environment variables for a particular project go?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

devnull wrote:I had no idea anyone had a .dshome file in the root directory. You mean it is not a common practice to use the DSHOME environment variable?
Just for completeness here...

One constant across installs is the presence of a .dshome file in the root directory. Since the $DSHOME can be anywhere, the .dshome file is what facilitates the setting of the $DSHOME environment variable that everything subsequently uses:

Code: Select all

DSHOME=`cat /.dshome`
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

DSParam and DSParam.keep are the files which hold the whole variables and its values. Which can be promoted to the new project for one. Do a search or FAQ forum for the same.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'