Remove DataSets

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ecclesr
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ecclesr »

Thanks Mike.

I was advised, that before I run the rm, that I stop the DS Engine, them remove the files, then restart the DS Engine.

Is this recommended, or not required.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It's not required, but it IS recommended. It's a safety measure, to make sure that no job could possibly be attempting to write to a Data Set while Data Sets are being deleted.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
PaulVL
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PaulVL »

I would never bring down the datastage engine just to delete a dataset. The politics of doing so is far to much of an expense at a big shop. And by politics I mean the paperwork that is required to bounce the engine, especially in prod.

Examine the timestamps of those data segments before you decide to nuke them.

Use a find/locate command to get the .ds filename (if you adheared to a naming standard for dataset descriptor files). If you haven't established that standard, please do so.

write a little script. set DSHOME, APT_CONFIGFILE (any valid apt file) in it. Execute the orachadmin rm command in it with the first parm passed to it. Make your life simple.