How to separate charcters and integers?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I still want to learn about this alleged six character limit!
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
priyadarshikunal
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by priyadarshikunal »

ray.wurlod wrote:I still want to learn about this alleged six character limit!
I think it might be related to this answer
prajesh wrote: inlink.column(1,1):inlink.column(3,1):inlink.column(5,1)-->Char_col
inlink.column(2,1):inlink.column(4,1):inlink.column(6,1)-->num_col
This answer is taking substring only till 6 characters hence will consider first 6 characters only and also puts a restriction on place for char and Integer values.

I think reply with quote should have been used so that everyone knows which answer he/she was replying to.

But I will wait for the OP to calrify if this is what he/she meant.
Priyadarshi Kunal

Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped. :wink:
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

:!: I remove excessive quoting because some days around here are Quotes Gone Wild. Some people seem to think their only option is 'Reply with quote' so they use nothing else. I nuke them when they serve no purpose.

Prajesh's answer is related to the original post. The only examples posted showed very simplistic six character values and the answer only 'solved' the issue for the example values as posted, hence the 'six character limit' Ray keeps asking about. There isn't one, it's all confusion based on the (IMHO) poor choice of examples in the original post.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers