how to set not null column to null

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

developeretl
Participant

Post by developeretl »

chulett wrote:You add the appropriate "null field value" property to each column, individually. ...
Hi Chulett,
Thanks for the reply. How can I specify the null field value in the sequential file as it has only field defaults as " null field value"
How can i specify it for individual column in sequential file stage
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Not sure how many different ways people can say this. There is a single value that can apply to all columns or you can setup unique values at the individual column level. Had you read the documentation? From Chapter 5 of the Parallel Job Developer Guide:
Field defaults

Defines default properties for columns written to the file or files. These are applied to all columns written, but can be overridden for individual columns from the Columns tab using the Edit Column Metadata dialog box. Where you can enter a character, this can usually be an ASCII character or a multi-byte Unicode character (if you have NLS enabled). The available properties are:

* Actual field length. Specifies the number of bytes to fill with the Fill character when a field is identified as null. When WebSphere DataStage identifies a null field, it will write a field of this length full of Fill characters. This is mutually exclusive with Null field value.

* Null field length. The length in bytes of a variable-length field that contains a null. When a variable-length field is written, WebSphere DataStage writes a length value of null field length if the field contains a null. This property is mutually exclusive with null field value.

* Null field value. Specifies the value written to null field if the source is set to null. Can be a number, string, or C-type literal escape character. For example, you can represent a byte value by \ooo, where each o is an octal digit 0 - 7 and the first o is < 4, or by \xhh, where each h is a hexadecimal digit 0 - F. You must use this form to encode non-printable byte values. This property is mutually exclusive with Null field length and Actual length. For a fixed width data representation, you can use Pad char (from the general section of Type defaults) to specify a repeated trailing character if the value you specify is shorter than the fixed width of the field.
Emphasis mine... and I guess that makes a bazillion and one. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers