Renaming and deleting a dataset

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

That's entirely an issue for those running that site. If they want to retain control, that's their choice.

You don't need execute permission for dsenv; it's read-only and serves mainly to set some environment variables in your private memory area, so there are no permissions issues with that.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
splayer
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by splayer »

Ray, thank you for your response. I found this post where the poster had the same problem:
"How to invoke Orchadmin?" by venkat_kp

This was his final solution:

"After I made LD_LIBRARY_PATH entry in the bash profile of the user and copied the default.apt as config.apt into PXEngine/etc then it worked."

I copied the default.apt to the PXEngine/etc folder. My LD_LIBRARY_PATH entry is defined in the dsenv file. However, how do I put it in my ID's bash profile? I am not sure how to do that.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

cd to your home directory (cd with no command line arguments will achieve this). Use ls -la .*to see the hidden files there. Edit the relevant file(s) with your chosen editor, perhaps vi.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
splayer
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by splayer »

I don't see a .profile file there. Should I add the complete value of LD_LIBRARY_PATH from the dsenv file into the .profile file(once I find it)?
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

We had a guy on our team named Lee Smith. He automated with a UNIX script dumping all datasets and archiving them and then deleting them. If you dump them then I think you can reimport them some how. I have not researched any of this but I can if this is critical to you.
Mamu Kim
splayer
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by splayer »

Thank Kim. I thought of doing that through a KSH script.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There may be a .bash_profile there. You can edit that. Make a copy called .profile (a quick way to get a .profile file). Here's my dsadm .profile (and .bash_profile) file. The first line does not occur in the .bash_profile file.

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh

DSHOME=`cat /.dshome`
export DSHOME

APT_ORCHHOME=$DSHOME/../PXEngine
export APT_ORCHHOME

PATH=$PATH:$DSHOME/bin:$APT_ORCHHOME/bin
export PATH

. $DSHOME/dsenv
Everything else for DataStage is managed in the dsenv script.
splayer
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by splayer »

Thanks Ray. I don't have permission to edit the dsadm .profile file. I wrote a script to delete the dataset manually which is pretty lame.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You can have your own.profile in your own home directory.
splayer
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by splayer »

I created a .profile file and added the LD_LIBRARY_PATH to the .profile file along with what is in your .profile. However, I still get the same error:

"error while loading shared libraries: liborchgenerali686.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

I am sure this is a permission issue but the message says something completely different.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Use find to determine where liborchgeneral686.so is on your file system.
Make sure that its parent directory appears in LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
Which stage generated this error?
splayer
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by splayer »

Ray, my .profile file in my /home/myid directory is as follows:

----------------------------------------------------------------
#!/bin/sh

DSHOME=`cat /.dshome`
export DSHOME

APT_ORCHHOME=$DSHOME/../PXEngine
export APT_ORCHHOME

PATH=$PATH:$DSHOME/bin:$APT_ORCHHOME/bin
export PATH

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=`dirname $DSHOME`/branded_odbc/lib:$DSHOME/lib:$DSHOME/uvdlls:$DSHOME/java/jre/lib/i386/client:$DSHOME/java/jre/lib/i386:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/applications/dsadm/Ascential/DataStage/PXEngine.751.1/lib
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH

. $DSHOME/dsenv
---------------------------------------------
/applications/dsadm/Ascential/DataStage/PXEngine.751.1/lib is the folder the liborchgeneral686.so resides in.

The dataset file I am trying to delete is in another folder, let's say /Fld1/Fld2. I still get the same error when I do:

/applications/dsadm/Ascential/DataStage/PXEngine/bin/orchadmin delete /Fld1/Fld2/MyDS.ds

from /home/myid folder where the .profile files is located. My only question, if it is a permission issue for the orchadmin, shouldn't I get a message that tells me that?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

We've helped you to solve the "orchadmin" command not found problem (PATH).

We've helped you to solve the "liborch686.so" library not found problem (LD_LIBRARY_PATH).

What "permissions" are you talking about?

If PATH, LD_LIBRARY_PATH, APT_ORCHHOME and APT_CONFIG_FILE are correctly set, you should be able to use

Code: Select all

orchadmin delete /fld1/fld2/dataset.ds
What error message are you getting from that that suggests you lack permission?

What are the permissions on /fld1/fld2/dataset.ds?
What are the permissions on the files in your resource disk (you can get their file names from the Data Set Management tool)?
splayer
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by splayer »

Ray, thank you for taking the time to respond. The error I get is:

"/applications/dsadm/Ascential/DataStage/PXEngine/bin/orchadmin: error while loading shared libraries: liborchgenerali686.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

I even copied the liborchgenerali686.so file to /applications/dsadm/Ascential/DataStage/PXEngine/bin folder. Still the same problem.

Here are my settings of the parameters:

PATH: /applications/dsadm/Ascential/DataStage/PXEngine.751.1/lib
(along with other things)

LD_LIBRARY_PATH: /applications/dsadm/Ascential/DataStage/PXEngine.751.1/lib

APT_ORCHHOME: /applications/dsadm/Ascential/DataStage/PXEngine

APT_CONFIG_FILE: /applications/dsadm/Ascential/DataStage/PXEngine/etc/config.apt

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I copied the default.apt file as per the following post (I renamed it to config.apt):

"How to invoke Orchadmin?" by venkat_kp
This was his final solution:
"After I made LD_LIBRARY_PATH entry in the bash profile of the user and copied the default.apt as config.apt into PXEngine/etc then it worked."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You need a lot more in LD_LIBRARY_PATH than that! Take a look at its value on your production machine.

Make sure, too, that the name liborchgenerali686.so is correct for the library in /applications/dsadm/Ascential/DataStage/PXEngine.751.1/lib (sometimes the final "i", part of "i686", is omitted).