Job access by other and cant unlock

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

narasimha
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by narasimha »

I was curious to see if DSguru2B had a magical way(which he does sometimes):wink:. I guess it was a typo huh?
Narasimha Kade

Finding answers is simple, all you need to do is come up with the correct questions.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

No. It wont tell who unlocked. Just tells you who initiated the thread.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

The whole window shows, what job been used by which PID (Users). Once the lock is cleared, there wont be any entry there.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
narasimha
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by narasimha »

Cool, looks like everybody is on the same page now.
Narasimha Kade

Finding answers is simple, all you need to do is come up with the correct questions.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Took ya long enough. :P
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

It was the darn typo on my end. Meant to say "Who locked it" but instead said, "who unlocked it" :oops:
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The only way to capture the identity of the user of the UNLOCK command would be to wrap the command in an auditing routine. This technique is not covered in any of the DataStage documentation.

Is anyone really interested? After all, once the lock is unlocked, they're off and running again. If it's done properly, no-one releases a lock unless it's owned by a process that has become defunct, and therefore could neither release the lock nor commit any further updates to the Repository.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Hmm, interesting. So that means if an audit routine can look upon the UNLOCK command. It can look upon other commands too, right? Just for educational purposes, how would you do that. :roll:
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

That isn't the way it would work. Since "UNLOCK" is a VOC command, the way that this could be audited would be by changing the contents of the original "UNLOCK" to call a program that would perform some sort of audit trail writing and then issue the actual UNLOCK command from there. This would be the same for whatever command you would wish to audit.

So the auditing wouldn't really be monitoring any commands but the original commands are substituted with some code that does auditing.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Ok. Now i see. That's pretty straight forward. So basically instead of UNLOCK, i will have myUNLOCK which will perform the UNLOCK command and also take some audit details. Hmm, thanks ArndW.