Table locks when loading through Teradata Enterprise stage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

nishadkapadia
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by nishadkapadia »

Adding a bit to the detailed ans by pratap to the Enterprise stage.The idea of aborting it from Datastage, however does not stop the Insert..Select statement from the ORCH<cookie_id> to the populated/empty table.

Only DBA can kill this particular session , however it is beset with performance issues on Teradata in terms of rollback/transient journals( incase of populated tables) and at times cannot kill the process depending on the mode of execution.
Sakthi_Sst
Participant

Post by Sakthi_Sst »

Hi Nishad,

Iam tryig to load with Teadata Multiload which is faster for my job structure compared to the other loading stages in Teradata.
Even to kill the session i need to know which sessions are running for my particular Multiload table.
I have a utility called PMON in Teradata through which i can see all the sessions running with the user id i have used to load the table, it also incluudes the other sessions used to load other tables other than my Multi load.

Regards,
Sakthi
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Design it well; you should never need to kill anything in a well-designed DataStage job.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Sakthi_Sst
Participant

Post by Sakthi_Sst »

Ray ,

As of now i dont have a solution other than killing the teradata sessions to release the table immediately provided i could find the table which i am doing a Multiload.

If u have a beter solution plz update.

Regards,
Sakthi
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

MultiLoad locks the table. This is documented. Cautious approach would involve executing a BTEQ script to ensure that the table is not already locked. And you can not select or read from the same table while MultiLoad is running. Your job design must handle all possible abnormalities in data without aborting, so that the job always finishes and the table lock can be released.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.