warning on sequential file

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sumesh.abraham
Participant

Re: warning on sequential file

Post by sumesh.abraham »

Hi,
I have a similar situation where in i am reading from a sequential file and after some processing writing to a sequential file. It is a '|' delimited file.
I have decimal fields which are nullable.ex;UNIT_RETAIL(20,4)

Warning: When validating export schema: At field "UNIT_RETAIL": "null_field" length (0) must match field's fixed width (22).
Warning:When validating export schema: At field "UNIT_RETAIL": Exporting a fixed length field with a "null_field" of length 0 will prohibit a re-import of this field.

If there is a value in the nullable field,there is no issue.
only when it is empty I get the problem
If i give Null Field Value=''... it reads those decimal fields but gives warnings.
If I give Null Field Value=' ' (22) spaces it gives a diff warning saying no default value defined for a nullable field.

So i want to know how to handle the field when the source data is actually null.
sudhakar_viswa wrote:Hi,

I am getting the following warning while exporting data into sequential file.
I am taking the data from sequential file and dataset and then i am doing join then i am populating data into sequntial file.

Warning:-
Sequential_File_8: When checking operator: When validating export schema: At field "Field001": Exporting nullable field without null handling properties

And one more thing the date column gettoing all the *'s instead of date.

Thanks,
sudhakar
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Similar, but not the same.

Please search for the actual error message you received and, if that does not solve it for you, begin a new thread.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
abhishekachrekar
Participant

Re:

Post by abhishekachrekar »

ajit wrote:Perhaps you are having Field001 nullable Yes, but did not handle it. You can handle it by clicking the target Sequential_File_8 stage and do the following
Goto Input>Columns.
Double Click the serial number assosciated with the column at left.
You get Edit Column MetaData
Go to Nullable option
Click on Null Field Value
You need to enter the null field value
This I think will solve the first problem

I also faced similar issue. I was able to resolve with your help.
Thanks a lot friends.

Regards,
Abhishek
Regards,
Abhishek