Bulk insert option in Teradata connector

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

mouthou
Participant

Bulk insert option in Teradata connector

Post by mouthou »

Hi all,

I am expecting a source file with more 12 million rows to load in Teradata with truncate & reload requirement. With the regular insert, this would be a time consuming load. Please let me know if there is any bulk load option using Teradata connector stage or any suggestion.

Couldn't think of using DRS stage etc as we don't have odbc connection setup.

Thanks
vinothkumar
Participant

Post by vinothkumar »

Use Bulk option with load method as LOAD. This is equivalent to Fastload utility available in teradata. It will be faster in loading huge volume of data to empty table.
mouthou
Participant

Post by mouthou »

Thanks. I already tried that but bulk option was not that effective with rows/sec. infact the jobs with normal insert run with 4000 rows/sec whereas with bulk option, it simply gave 2000 rows/sec range!

This may be the case if Fastload is done within DataStage. Is there any other way in/out of Datastage?
vinothkumar
Participant

Post by vinothkumar »

Are there any primary indexes defined. Because it will highly impact the performance.
mouthou
Participant

Post by mouthou »

Yes, there is one primary index but it is just a field with generated sequence number. Couldn't think it will create a performance issue for bulk load.

Actually, it is a good thought about the indexes and disabling/enabling as I used to do. Actually I had the same thought as my nightmare 2 days ago but left blank after getting up! :lol:
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Be thankful it just 'highly impacts performance', in Oracle you can't perform a bulk load if there are any indexes on the table. :(
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
sharmabhavesh
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by sharmabhavesh »

As far as I know, Teradata generally has a primary index. I think only from versions 13 and above, this requirement has been made optional otherwise it was mandatory to have a primary index on Teradata tables (else Taearadat creates it itself).
So if I want to use fastload in versions before 13, will I get the same slow load results from Datastage as Vinoth is getting.