Implicit conversion from source type-Sybase Enterprise Stage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

clmhwyfe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Implicit conversion from source type-Sybase Enterprise Stage

Post by clmhwyfe »

Hi all,

We have a column defined as a CHAR (2) in Sybase, but when I read the column as a CHAR(2) in Datastage, I get the below mentioned warning .

Implicit conversion from source type "string[4]" to result type "string[2]"

I know that Sybase uses 2 bytes for a single CHAR value but how to avoid this warning. I get this warning only in the Sybase Enterprise stage, If I use the Sybase OCI stage, I don't get any warnings. Please let me know if there is a way apart from the message handler to avoid these issues.

I don't want to read the column as a CHAR (4) as that would have issues in my target as we use SPACE as the padchar value.

Thanks in advance.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

If you have Unicode (or UTF, etc.) enabled, Char(2) is stored as four bytes in Sybase. In that case, DataStage table import reports the storage requirements as string[4].
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
clmhwyfe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by clmhwyfe »

Thanks Ray,

We don't have Unicode/UTF enabled for this job, Am unable to avoid this warning , Am forced to use the Sybase Server stage to process data.

Let me know if there is any other way to fix this issue.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You may have Unicode/UTF-8 enable in Sybase, which is why it is reporting a size of 4 for this field.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.