Handling time with variable length

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sharmabhavesh
Premium Member
Premium Member

Handling time with variable length

Post by sharmabhavesh »

Hi,
I have a time field which can either be hhmmss or hmmss. The hour field can be 1-2 digits without a '0' being prefixed. How can I convert such string to time. I used %(h,s)nnss but that didn't work.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I assume that you actually have a string field, since time fields don't have a format (they are stored as binary numbers).

Simply prefix the string with a "0" character and use the rightmost six characters of the result, with "%hh%nn%ss" as the format string.

Code: Select all

Right("0" : InLink.TimeString, 6)
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
sharmabhavesh
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by sharmabhavesh »

Hi Rar, Thanks for the solution. But can this be handled by specifying a format string. Read at some Datastage documentation to use %(h,s) in the format string but didn't work in my case.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

The "s" means it can have a leading space. If "1-2 digits without a leading 0" means "1 thru 12" you can just use %h I would think.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers