How NLS conversion helps?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Akhobare
Participant

How NLS conversion helps?

Post by Akhobare »

Hi,
I went through Datastage documentation on NLS use & setting , however couldn't get simple fact that how NLS setting helps in processing data which is in different character codes

I read ,
- NLS mode works by using two types of character set:
1. The NLS internal character set
2. External character sets that cover the world's different languages
- The NLS internal character sets conform to the Unicode standard.
- NLS includes map tables for many of the character sets used in the world
etc etc.

1. Does this mean ,
Datastage can read sources containing data ,which are in various languages ( in turn in various character code/set), converts the data into internal character set (i.e. into Datastage NLS internal character set) , process it & again convert it to target supported character code?

2. Does the NLS setting( at project/job level) indicate source character code or the Datastage internal character code (used while creating intermediate datasets)?

3. What happens when incorrect NLS setting is used? ( I have seen garbage values sometimes , still some explanation behind that would be helpful).

Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Akshay
Akhobare
Participant

Post by Akhobare »

Any reply,hint,documentation pointer, please !!
Regards,
Akshay
priyadarshikunal
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by priyadarshikunal »

Too many things to explain at once.

To be precise, You need to avoid character set conversion as this may cause incorrect replacement of characters which are not present in that particular character set.

The character set you are using in the job or target should be same or a superset of the character set of different sources.

DataStage store everything in UTF-16(NLS enabled server) AFAIK. The NLS you set at job level impact Import/Export operators (read write operation). And when you set incorrect one, you get garbage values because of incorrect conversion as mentioned above.
Priyadarshi Kunal

Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped. :wink:
priyadarshikunal
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by priyadarshikunal »

Please read this which has some disucssion on NLS.

Also read this. which is also present in the post above.
Priyadarshi Kunal

Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped. :wink:
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Akhobare wrote:Any reply,hint,documentation pointer, please !!

Learn patience! Most of the members were asleep in the seven hours between posting and pushing.
If you want urgent assistance sign up with your official support provider for premium support, and learn just how expensive "urgent" can be.
DSXchange is an all-volunteer site whose members post if and when they can, and are under no obligation to do so. Luckily, most of us are nice people.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Akhobare
Participant

Post by Akhobare »

Thanks Priyadarshi .. Will do some searching further on it.
Regards,
Akshay