Capturing Deleted Rows from an Oracle Enterprise Database

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Kel
Participant

Capturing Deleted Rows from an Oracle Enterprise Database

Post by Kel »

Hi,

My requirement is to capture the 2 fields from deleted rows from an oracle database and put those 2 fields in a sequential file. I used Write Method = Delete Rows; User defined delete.

Do i need to insert the sequential file before I perform the delete? Or is it that the output of the Oracle Database would be the deleted rows?

Thanks.
BOG
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You can direct the rows to another output link (for example to a text file) in the same job as they are sent to Oracle for deletion.

The only "output" from create, update and delete operations is the number of rows affected, so you would not be able to capture data from "Oracle output" as you envisage, unless the delete operation itself failed and you had a reject link on your Oracle Connector or Oracle Enterprise stage.

Another possibility is that you have some form of changed data capture (such as scraping the Oracle transaction logs) in place, in which case you can retrieve the before-image and after-image (empty) of affected rows.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.