getting error in datastage 11.3

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

abbhi
Participant

getting error in datastage 11.3

Post by abbhi »

SPC_od_file_archive_stg: Error when checking operator: When binding output interface field "CREATE_DATE" to field "CREATE_DATE": No default type conversion from type "date" to type "string".

we have defined a variable in the job with char as datatype and we get this error. fyi we are using to_char function in sql query to convert. Using this varibale to store date.

However same job runs fine when we define the type as date.

Also job runs fine in DS 8.1 when datatype defines as char.

I want to know if char or varchar are supported in ds 11.3 ?
Please suggest.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Of course they are. And we've seen this movie many times before - something was broken in 8.x and you were taking advantage of the bug, a bug they've fixed in later versions. You really should be doing explicit conversions when moving a string to a date or vice-versa.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
abbhi
Participant

Post by abbhi »

this is error im getting when doing conversion:

​IIS-DSEE-TFIP-00011: SPC_od_file_archive_stg: Error when checking operator: When binding output interface field "CREATE_DATE" to field "CREATE_DATE": No default type conversion from type "date" to type "string[10]".​

Please advice ?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

What stage is it happening in? What kind of 'conversion' are you doing? The error implies you are not doing an explicit conversion but instead are relying on an implicit conversion by simply moving it from one data type to another... and it has no clue how you want it to convert one to the other.
-craig

chpraveen.msc
Participant

No default type conversion from type "date" to typ

Post by chpraveen.msc »

Hello All,
I am running into similar issue.

We are in a process of migrating from DS Version 8.5 to 11.3

As part of our testing, we have migrated some of our production code (8.5 )to 11.3 DS

On of our job i failing with the below error in the transformer Stage

Xfm_FIRM_MGT_BKR_ETL: When preparing operator: When binding collector interface: When binding input interface field "EFFECTIVE_DATE" to field "EFFECTIVE_DATE": No default type conversion from type "date" to type "int8".

I do understand from Craig's response, that the operator has no clue how it should convert.

My question is respective job is running in prod 8.5 server multiple times a day with out any issue, not sure, why it is failing in 11.3

All i am trying to figure out is, do we need to make code changes when migrating from 8.5 to 11.3

Thanks for your help as always.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

It's the typical upgrade problem we see time after time and which I've already commented on in this thread - you've gotten away with something, taken advantage of a bug / loophole that has been closed. Technically, it never should have worked 'without any issue' in your old environments but it did. These are the kind of things you do full regression testing for... and it's always a blast. :wink:
-craig

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I was surprised to see in this thread that DataStage reports No default type conversion from type "date" to type "string[10]".
I had formed the view that everything could be implicitly converted to string if the size is large enough.
However, upon checking the IBM Knowledge Center, I find that my view is not correct.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.