Problem with dataset

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

skathaitrooney
Participant

Problem with dataset

Post by skathaitrooney »

Hello Experts,

My parallel job has a dataset followed by a remove duplicate stage and the a db2 connector stage.
My parallel job is getting aborted with the following error:
dotcom_migration_location_temp,0: Fatal Error: I/O subsystem: Open of /opt/IBM/pr/IS/Datasets/location.ds.dsadmp.prdil.0001.0000.0000.39e6.552c779a.0000.fef416d7 failed: No such file or directory
My analysis:

I am able to view data in designer client so i guess the dataset is not corrupt.
The permissions for the dataset are also correct.(No issues with the permissions)

In my job for the remove duplicate stage i am getting a warning :
rm_duplicateaccounts.lnk_dotcom_migration_location_temp_Sort: When checking operator: Operator of type "APT_TSortOperator": will partition despite the
preserve-partitioning flag on the data set on input port 0.
Can anyone please help me with this?

Thanks!!
priyadarshikunal
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by priyadarshikunal »

that warning has nothing to do with this error, it just states that the partitioning in dataset isn't compatible with keys defined in remove duplicate stage.

Try to do cat on location.ds file in location specified in dataset stage. it should have path to all the data files. check all data files are present and you have right permission to all the data files.
Priyadarshi Kunal

Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped. :wink:
electajay
Participant

Re: Problem with dataset

Post by electajay »

are you using the same config file that created the dataset ..?
A Kumar
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

:idea: Reply to topic is your friend! Well, my friend technically. There was no need to quote the entire original post just to add your one line.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
PaulVL
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PaulVL »

I'm going to hazard a guess:

The setup you have might be a cluster environment where the compute nodes are on a different server than then conductor node.

I see be the name on that dataset that it is in /opt/IBM... wich is tycally a local path, not a NAS or NFS path...

My guess is... the path is not shared to the compute nodes.

==============

(Since we don't have much to go on, we guess.) ;)
skathaitrooney
Participant

Post by skathaitrooney »

Paul,
Its a grid environment. The dataset is in the location that can be accessed by the compute node. Its a shared NAS path. :)

The job is failing as it is trying to search for the wrong segment file for the dataset(as mentioned in my post).
For this dataset i can see a segment file with a different name.

i dont know why this job is trying to access a segment file that does not exists.
PaulVL
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PaulVL »

Start doing some orchadmin commands to dump the internal config file and see where the datasegments are dropping.

Did anyone pooch the dataset by doing a "mv" or "cp" command without doing it via orchadmin?

FTP'ed from another server maybe?

When was the last time that dataset was accessed?
priyadarshikunal
Premium Member
Premium Member

Since you are able to see data from designer i believe that atleast one of your data file has been moved or deleted. This is the reason I asked you to check all data files mentioned in descriptor.

in case the file names present in descriptor are not there and has been deleted, I am afraid, you will have to do cleanup and create the dataset again.

If the files are present, check permission on NAS. and if its accessible from all nodes.
Priyadarshi Kunal

skathaitrooney
Participant

Post by skathaitrooney »

Priyadarshi,

Yes i checked the dataset for the segment files, it has 3 segment files mentioned but one does not exist. Iguess i have to do a cleanup and recreate the dataset as you already mentioned.
But, is their a particular reason of such a case happening, that the segment file is missing by itself? Your views on this?
priyadarshikunal
Premium Member
Premium Member

most probably some one deleted or archived to free up some space.
Priyadarshi Kunal

skathaitrooney
Participant

Post by skathaitrooney »

Ultimately i had to do a dataset cleanup and then re ran the job that created the dataset. It solved the issue.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

So for whatever reason it seems it was corrupt. Marking as resolved.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers