Multiple containter instances with standardize

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

StephenB
Premium Member
Premium Member

Multiple containter instances with standardize

Post by StephenB »

We just tracked down some fatal errors to the QualityStage Standardize Stage when using multiple instances of a shared container. We have a container that validates an address, rejects invalid rows, replaces nulls with default values, etc... In a parallel job, we have 2 entities coming in on a row, so we split them using copy and sent each entity to the validating container and then to separate outputs. We saw the following error instantly:

Code: Select all

Unable to link rule file, VPHONE.UTO, file may need provisioning
( also saw with USADDR.UCL and USAREA.PAT as we removed stages to narrow down the problem )

and on the next run:

Code: Select all

From previous run 
DataStage Job 133 Phantom 12577
Job Aborted after Fatal Error logged.
Program "DSD.WriteLog": Line 305, Abort.
Attempting to Cleanup after ABORT raised in job STD_TEST_JOB.

DataStage Phantom Aborting with @ABORT.CODE = 1
I've read that shared containers are design time objects and are replaced when compiled, but they seem to cause a problem when the container is used multiple times in one job and contains the Standardize Stage. In testing we found there is not a problem using the Standardize stage twice in the same job or using a container multiple times in the same job without a Standardize stage.

Has anyone run into this before? Is this a bug/limitation or are we doing something wrong? Any ideas would be appreciated as we are planning to remove Standardize from our shared containers tomorrow.
- Stephen -
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Provisioning is the step of moving your QualityStage jobs and stages (and rule sets, as necessary) from the Designer to the server.

Have you done this?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Chennai01
Participant

Post by Chennai01 »

Can you please share the resolution as I am facing the similar situation.

Shared container which has Address standardize stage has been called multiple times with in the same parallel job and i am getting the error "Unable to link rule file, USADDR.SET, file may need provisioning".

Thanks
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

... and HAVE you provisioned the Rule Set ?
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Chennai01
Participant

Post by Chennai01 »

Yes, I did the provision all.

When i use one standardize stage in a job, it is working fine. But when i use two standardize stage in the same job, i am facing this issue.

"Unable to link rule file, USADDR.SET, file may need provisioning"

Below is my design.

DB(Input) --> Transformer --> Sharedcontainer(Address standardization) --> Copy stage --> Sharedcontainer(Address standardization) --> Transformer --> Dataset.

Sharedcontainer(Address standardization) has been designed earlier before an year and the input is 3 fields and output is 5 fields.

Copy stage is used to rename the columns which we receive from the first Sharedcontainer(Address standardization).

I am using 2 times as a single record has 2 different set of addresses and need to standardize. As such the shared container can handle only one set of address which made me to use 2 times and also we are using RCP for this job.
Chennai01
Participant

Post by Chennai01 »

Yes, I did the provision all.

When i use one standardize stage in a job, it is working fine. But when i use two standardize stage in the same job, i am facing this issue.

Below is my design.

DB(Input) --> Transformer --> Sharedcontainer(Address standardization) --> Copy stage --> Sharedcontainer(Address standardization) --> Transformer --> Dataset.

Sharedcontainer(Address standardization) has been designed earlier before an year and the input is 3 fields and output is 5 fields.

Copy stage is used to rename the columns which we receive from the first Sharedcontainer(Address standardization).

I am using 2 times as a single record has 2 different set of addresses and need to standardize. As such the shared container can handle only one set of address which made me to use 2 times and also we are using RCP for this job.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Seems there might be some kind of contention issue. What has your official support provider advised?