Sequential file unable to initialize importer

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

India2000
Participant

Sequential file unable to initialize importer

Post by India2000 »

Hi, Unable to initialize the importer."record_length=fixed" (no length given) and record field format is variable-length. The first variable-length field is ""

Job works fine in DS9.1 dev env . For the same file in higher environment the fails with above error . Is this a file issue or env issue.

I see several posts and I tried all options..no luck..
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

First and obvious question - what's different about the dev environment that it works there and not in the other environments?

That you have a zero length string (presumably in a VarChar column) is almost certainly the sourced of your problems. Is this supposed to represent NULL? If you go the fixed-length route, then all strings must be of data type Char and their Null Field Value must have the same number of characters as the size of the field.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
India2000
Participant

Post by India2000 »

Ray,

all the fields have length defined. The job was imported from dev environment. Everything is intact. Its strange. Its supposed to work in the current environment like in the dev. If I read fixed with file through a single column I can view the data. SInce there are a large number of columns reading a single column and then parsing is not practical.. I cannot make a design change at this point.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You didn't answer my question.

What's different between the environments? (Tip: the answer is not "nothing". Clearly.)

Might there be a difference in the data, for example? The "" value does not occur in the file in dev but does in the new environment.

Also, reading a single column and parsing is always practical. The parsing then occurs in parallel.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
India2000
Participant

Post by India2000 »

I do not see any difference between the environment except for the file path and the project. Server is same. File is also the same..File is Copied from dev path to the current path.