Multiple instance Error

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

hexaware_tmk
Premium Member
Premium Member

Multiple instance Error

Post by hexaware_tmk »

We are getting the same error message in many jobs randomly . This job is scheduled to run everyday , Somedays its running without issues and somedays it fails with this error message then if we start the job again even without compiling its completing successfully.

Its a multiple instance job and we pass proper invocation Id.In our production environment multiple jobs gets triggered at same time ,somedays 10 jobs runs at same time and somedays 5 jobs run at same time

Is it something releated to insuffcient datastage configuration?

its Datastage 8.6 -parallel extender - Windows OS

Error Message: Error calling DSAttachJob(JobName.InstanceId)<L>(DSOpenJob) Cannot open job JobName.InstanceId - not a runnable job
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Typically "not a runnable job" means the job is already running. It can also mean it is not compiled but that would not be the case here.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
hexaware_tmk
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by hexaware_tmk »

No,Its a Multiple Instance Job and we are passing different invocation Id's from different processes. So Ideally it should not block each other
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Ideally... should... I agree. However, there's only two things that error means and like I said I'm sure the job is compiled. :wink:

Double-check that you are indeed passing in unique at run time Invocation ID values. The fact that later you can run it successfully without any changes / intervention also points to points to the distinct possibility that it was still / already running. Before you restart it do you check the logs to see when last it successfully ran?
Last edited by chulett on Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I agree with Craig. Your symptom strongly suggests that whatever method you are using to request job runs is re-using invocation ID.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
nagikondaveeti
Participant

Post by nagikondaveeti »

I ran into this situation last week. job is being called with multiple invocation id values but there was a case with two invocations but using same invocation Id caused same error. Please make sure all invocation Ids are different from each other especially when job is running in multi instance mode.
Nagendra Kumar
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

nagikondaveeti wrote: Please make sure all invocation Ids are different from each other especially when job is running in multi instance mode.
It's not a problem if you're not in multi-instance mode. :wink:
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.