Replacement for function DSGetLinkinfo in Parallel

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Piyush Singh Chauhan
Participant

Replacement for function DSGetLinkinfo in Parallel

Post by Piyush Singh Chauhan »

Hi All,

We are upgrading server 7.5 version jobs to parallel 9.1 version.
We came across "DSGetLinkinfo" function in server which is used to get the number of records passed to the DB.
Do we have to write server/parallel routine or we can implement this by using the existing function present in designer.

Please help me on this.

Thanks,
Piyush
Piyush
stuartjvnorton
Participant

Post by stuartjvnorton »

Are you saying you already use it, or would like to?

If you already use it, check your args going to 9.1. IIRC the enum to request the row count has changed.
There is also the potential for getting incomplete counts back. I've only seen it at one site under full batch load, but it's not 100% guaranteed to return complete instance counts.

You might want to look at DSODB if you are going to 9.1 and are starting clean.
It's easier to make a DB call to get all of your link counts instead of one at a time and if you call it at the end there should be absolutely no chance of coming across the same issue I did.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: Replacement for function DSGetLinkinfo in Parallel

Post by chulett »

Piyush Singh Chauhan wrote:We are upgrading server 7.5 version jobs to parallel 9.1 version.
Hopefully that does not mean each and every job is being rewritten as a Parallel job because that's just crazy talk. Rewrite the ones that "need" it. Write new ones in PX. Leave the Server jobs alone that do not have performance issues. I'll wager that the ones you've found that leverage DSGetLinkInfo and any other API functions definitely fall into the "small jobs without performance issues" camp.

And if these are being used in custom routines that are called "After Job" or in a Sequence job, that doesn't change even if the jobs are PX jobs. If you need more specific advice, you'd need to be more explicit about how/where those functions are being used.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers