Balanced Optimizer - Architecture Query

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

kripakarprasad
Participant

Balanced Optimizer - Architecture Query

Post by kripakarprasad »

We have decided to invest in the Balanced Optimizer for Datastage to help us pushdown DB level functions and utilize the underlying DBs like neteeza properly. In theory, we understand the following flow in using BO.

1. Design DS job in designer.
2. Open BO window from designer and generate the optimized job by selecting the options.
3. Save the optimized job.

Now can I just export this job to another server (running the same version of DS), but without BO installed and run the job. In short, is the BO plugin used at the time of the optimized job generation or is it used at runtime as well, which would warrant us to pretty much procure the plugin for the entire landscape.

Would appreciate any response in this regard.

Thanks,
KK
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: Balanced Optimizer - Architecture Query

Post by chulett »

kripakarprasad wrote:the BO plugin used at the time of the optimized job generation
This. After that it's just a 'regular' job.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
kripakarprasad
Participant

Re: Balanced Optimizer - Architecture Query

Post by kripakarprasad »

Thanks for the response. That was our initial thought as well, but when we reached out to the vendor to confirm the same, prior to purchasing the license, here is the response we got. Am I missing something here. Would I really need to have it on my Non-dev envts?

"the generation of the Optimized code gets done in Dev (what is done from the developer's desk), but the "Optimized" code is then compiled and run in the Optimized way, which is why there would be a runtime license. It's PVU based because its a DataStage Engine component, and is licensed based on the DS environment and capacity it runs on."
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Interesting... don't remember that from what little I've read about it. The "run in the Optimized way" doesn't make a lick of sense to me but perhaps it will to others who have had actual experience with the BO option. I can however see how they would happily force you to license it everywhere because, well... fees.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
kripakarprasad
Participant

Post by kripakarprasad »

Thanks for your feedback. Thats exactly where I stand now. I want to be very clear before I purchase the licenses. Hopefully someone with more experience with BO can answer this.
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

I have not used it, but only read about it here.

It appears to be a design-time tool only. The document states that once the developer verifies the final output, "the job is ready to compile and run."

The add-on has to be licensed in some way, however, the pricing model you described for this does not entirely make sense. I think it would make more sense if it were tied to the number of authorized DataStage users. Maybe you have other ideas?

I have sometimes seen the vendor offer multiple pricing models. If they don't make sense, we tell them so, and they usually come back with an alternative model.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
rkashyap
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rkashyap »

Kripakarprasad,

We are also looking into getting Balanced Optimizer. We have also received similar advise from vendor and prod-box's PVUs are included in the quote.

What did you guys decide to do?
kripakarprasad
Participant

Post by kripakarprasad »

We did a POC and we didn't find anything suggesting that it has to be purchased for any non-dev envts.

If I find anything more on this, i will update this post for sure.