Question on Orchadmin usage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

JPalatianos
Premium Member
Premium Member

Question on Orchadmin usage

Post by JPalatianos »

Hi,
I have been asked if we can use the Orchadmin command from the client machine. We have a windows environment and the application teams typically ask us to dump DataSets to text files. We are looking to see if this is something they might be able to run on their own from their client machine.
Thanks - - John
rohitagarwal15
Participant

Re: Question on Orchadmin usage

Post by rohitagarwal15 »

Typically orchadmin command cannot be used from client machine but do you mean to say that your requirement is to convert datasets into text files? If this is case, then you can create a job to read dataset using dataset stage and write it to text file using sequential file stage.
Rohit
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The orchadmin command requires use of the parallel engine binaries. But you should be able to invoke it remotely from your client machine, since both tiers are on Windows.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
JPalatianos
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by JPalatianos »

Thank you both for your input. I ended up craeting a parametrized batch script on our servers with a DataStage wrapper that call this. Now both our developers and operations folks can use the dump option to view the contents of a Dataset.