Text to excel

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

vamsi.4a6
Participant

Text to excel

Post by vamsi.4a6 »

I need to convert .txt file to excel file (with extension .xls). Currently I am converting .txt to .csv by replacing the delimiter with |, which is opening properly in Microsoft excel but i need to convert into .xls. Any input is really appreciated. Of course in 9.1 we have separate stage for it but I am using 8.5 version.
Thanks and Regards
Vamsi krishna.v
http://datastage-vamsi.blogspot.in/
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

I think your first step would need to be upgrading to version 9.1 or higher.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Or looking into getting your hands on UNIX ODBC drivers for Excel. While primarily used by people to read Excel files, I would imagine they could be used to write them as well.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
vamsi.4a6
Participant

Post by vamsi.4a6 »

is there any other option other than UNIX ODBC drivers for Excel since unix admin does not know about this?
Thanks and Regards
Vamsi krishna.v
http://datastage-vamsi.blogspot.in/
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Educate them. In other words, that or upgrade if you want to write native Excel files rather than csv files. Or purchase a converter that runs on UNIX. Or just stick with creating csv files as most people do.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers