Routines with RCP

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

asyed
Participant

Routines with RCP

Post by asyed »

Hi,

I want to create a generic job which executes routines for each field in the source with RCP enabled.

Is there any way to do this ?

Thanks
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

No.

Arguments to be passed to routine must be named input columns.

Of course, RCP will take care of any column that you don't want to process, which in your case is none of them.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
asyed
Participant

Post by asyed »

Hi Ray,

It is not necessary that I use RCP, basically I need to use a generic job which calls routine on every column. Is there any such option.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Only to call the routine for every column.

There are technically illegal hacks via which you can find the name of each column in the record schema, and then obtain the value of each, but these are undocumented and - under the reverse engineering prohibition in your licence - illegal.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Unfortunately, the job isn't really "generic" unless it uses RCP and the need to call a routine for every column rules that out, as noted.

I'm guessing about as generic as you could get would be to build a template and leverage that as you build each job. Something like FastTrack comes to mind or a home grown solution. Back in the day we built a process that combined a table's metadata with just such a template which generated the completed job in "raw dsx" format which could then be imported. Of course, that took some effort and detailed knowledge of what the end result needed to be but it helped us in the long run as we had almost 1000 to generate.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers