Generate Row Number Field with multiple partition not workin

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

gowrishankar_h
Participant

Generate Row Number Field with multiple partition not workin

Post by gowrishankar_h »

Hi All,

I use the following formula to generate the row number in sequence by using transformer stage with 2 partition.

(@INROWNUM - 1) * @NUMPARTITIONS + @PARTITIONNUM + 1

Say i have 100 record coming from input.up to 70 record the numer coming in sequence like below

70 but after 70 it is coming like

when i monitored i found the distribution in partition is not equal...Its there any way i can make partition as equal so generated number will be in sequence..My requirement should be in sequence....
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

What partitioning are you using? No, really using? Unless you can guarantee absolutely even distribution you will always see holes in the sequence. The only way that you can guarantee absolutely even distribution is (a) to specify Round Robin as the partitioning algorithm and (b) to have a number of rows that is an exact multiple of the number of partitions.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
gowrishankar_h
Participant

Post by gowrishankar_h »

I use hash partition...so oly round robin will guarantee the equal distribution....