Date valid function

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

hargun
Participant

Date valid function

Post by hargun »

hi ,

i am read the date column MATURITY_DATE(VARCHAR) with length 8 and converting into Date by using the function given below but getting NULL as output.

Code: Select all

if isnull(select_stats.MATURITY_DATE) then setnull() else if  IsValid("Date" , select_stats.MATURITY_DATE, "%yyyy%mm%dd") Then StringToDate(select_stats.MATURITY_DATE,"%yyyy%mm%dd") else setnull()
From source i am getting the date like this

If the date is valid like 06072014 then i should get data in output but not getting.

Job is also working fine and not throwing any error.

Can somebody help me on this.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Why are you using "yyyymmdd" in the function when your date is in "mmddyyyy" format?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
hargun
Participant

Post by hargun »

i used now

if isnull(select_stats.MATURITY_DATE) then setnull() else if  IsValid("Date" , select_stats.MATURITY_DATE, "%mm%dd%yyyy") Then StringToDate(select_stats.MATURITY_DATE,"%mm%dd%yyyy") else setnull()
Still getting the Null output.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Make sure all dates have eight characters, so that they match the format string.

Right("00":InLink.TheString, 8)
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
hargun
Participant

Post by hargun »

i tried with that too still not getting output for vaild dates

i have also tried by using the function below

if isnull(select_stats.MATURITY_DATE) or select_stats.MATURITY_DATE=0 then setnull() else    if (IsValidDate(StringToDate(select_stats.MATURITY_DATE,"%mm%dd%yyyy"))=1) then StringToDate(select_stats.MATURITY_DATE,'%mm%dd%yyyy') else '0001-01-01'
This function populate only '0001-01-01' not the dates .

Can someone help me on the exact code which give me valid dates in ouput.
RPhani
Participant

Post by RPhani »

Hi,

1)Please check Target column datatype.
2)'%mm%dd%yyyy' is Varchar(8) But defalt value in Else part is 10.

-------------------
RPhani
hargun
Participant

Post by hargun »

target datatype is Date and i have also tried with function also but getting NULL as output not valid dates present in input.

if isnull(select_stats.RENEWAL_DATE) then setnull() else if  IsValid('Date' ,StringToDate(select_stats.RENEWAL_DATE, "%mm%dd%yyyy")) Then StringToDate(select_stats.RENEWAL_DATE,"%yyyy%mm%dd") else setnull()
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

We seem to be missing some vital piece of information or this would have been solved some time ago seeing as how you've tried about every combination under the sun. What exactly is your source and how you are bringing it into the job? Are you certain that the format you posted as an example is accurate and the values are coming into the job properly?

If you haven't done so already, throw in a Peek stage before you attempt the conversion as a sanity check.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers