Data Manipulation

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

devsonali
Premium Member
Premium Member

Data Manipulation

Post by devsonali »

Hello Gurus ,

My design includes a seq file stage - an aggregator - seq_file_output file..
My input looks like

ActNo , posno , phone_1, phone_2 , address_1 , address_2

1 , 1 , 1234 , , 12 abc ,
1 , 2 , , 4567 , , 23 xyz
11 , 1 , 6789 , , 15 mef ,

Output should be (idea is to merge based on key column(here actno ) - 1 key column should have one entry)

ActNo , phone_1, phone_2 , address_1 , address_2
1 , 1234 , 4567 ,12 abc , 23 xyz
11 , 6789 , , 15 mef ,

I tried using simple aggregation and using the max condition by grouping by actno

However that works well with the getting the phone number but since address has both numbers and alphabets , the output is 12 instead of 12 abc for address_1 and 23 instead of 23 xyz . Is there a way to fix this ? Thank a lot for reading my post
devsonali
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by devsonali »

I want to try some thing here - and this raises another question - is there a way in datastage to convert char data (varchar datatype) into numeric - find the max of data (as it would be numeric now ) and then reverse it to characters (varchar datatype)
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Sure, you can certainly convert character data to numeric, that's what functions like StringToDecimal() are for. HOWEVER, it must be convertible - something '23 xyz' is not, if that's behind the question being asked.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
devsonali
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by devsonali »

Thank you craig - I think I was referring to something like seq() function that converts the first char into (i believe) Ascii , I am aware of the datatype conversion function you mentioned above, but as you mentioned since the aggregater is only giving out "23" between "23 xyz" and "empty string" for max value , I was thinking if I can convert the whole "23 xyz" into numeric and back to "23 xyz". If I cannot do that is there a way to get my desired output from a different method?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Is a string sort acceptable for that data? If so, you should be able to leave the field as a string and override the default Aggregator behavior that converts everything to double in the stage. There should be a 'Preserve Type' option in there somewhere that will accomplish that.
-craig

devsonali
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by devsonali »

Not sure I understand what you mean by "string sort" in this context, here we are comparing empty string with data (which is a combination of numbers and alphabets) . In this scenario its always "empty string" vs some data (address data) .

There is a preserve partitioning drop down which has two options clear and set in the advanced tab . I don't think i can see a preserve type option .

If you can let me know where it is , I can test the job with this option.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

devsonali wrote:Not sure I understand what you mean by "string sort" in this context...
Sorting the two values "4010" and "5" as strings gives a different result than sorting them as integers.
devsonali
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by devsonali »

Ok , I get it now , thanks for the clarification , String sort is allowed . However the maximum value as I mentioned above needs to be calculated only based on a non empty string (address data with numbers and alphabets like "240 abc" vs "empty" fields.

I am still trying to find the solution for the required output
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

devsonali wrote:I don't think i can see a preserve type option. If you can let me know where it is, I can test the job with this option.
I did a quick search and found one discussion here which should help. There were others.

And I know it's already been answered but just in case, a 'string sort' means numbers would sort like this:

Etc.
-craig

devsonali
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by devsonali »

Ahh ..
1. I didn't look hard enough in the properties
2. I should have searched in the forum (never clicked I would find "Preserve type" answered in the forum.

Thanks Craig and Arnd . I tested the job and all that was needed was to set the property "preserve type" to true