Input buffer overrun at field

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

nitingupta
Participant

Post by nitingupta »

What should i use ??
NITIN GUPTA
arunkumarmm
Participant

Post by arunkumarmm »

A sequential file stage.
Arun
nitingupta
Participant

Post by nitingupta »

When i tried with FTP normal method(FTP without binary) viewing that file data in unix i can see the data but it do have ^ character also in between two columns and also don't have a proper format how will be i able to read it using sequential file stage?
NITIN GUPTA
arunkumarmm
Participant

Post by arunkumarmm »

Sorry. I'm not able to understand how your file looks. You use CFF if your file is in EBCDIC format. If you are not sure about the format/structure of your file, ask it to the guys who create it. Understand it. Then I hope it will be easy for you to read it inside datastage.
Arun
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

arunkumarmm wrote:You use CFF if your file is in EBCDIC format.
That's certainly one reason to use the stage but hardly the only one. As the name implies it is meant for Complex flat files, regardless of EBCDIC v. ASCII. Typically that means COBOL format files from a mainframe in EBCDIC with packed fields but it's certainly not limited to that.

That being said, however, I'm firmly in the "not able to understand how the file looks" camp as well. Just because you did an "ascii transfer" to your server doesn't mean the file is an ASCII file... but if you can "see the data" from the command line then it probably is. If you have packed fields in the file (such as your "COMP" FORMAT_CD field) then the CFF stage can handle that for you if setup properly. I'm surprised you'd have any as typically if the mainframe is converting the EBCDIC to ASCII for you (as it seems they are doing) then packed fields are typically "unpacked" at the same time. And if you did an ascii transfer on a field with packed fields then those fields have been corrupted.

You really need to know for certain how your file is formatted before we can give you cogent advice on how to process it.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers