Regarding Use of ICONV/OCONV Functions in the Parallel Jobs.

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

moalik
Participant

Regarding Use of ICONV/OCONV Functions in the Parallel Jobs.

Post by moalik »

Hi All,

In many of the date conversions, i have seen the usage of ICONV/OCONV functions as the solutions.

But when i am developing a parallel job, we don't have the option of above Functions in Transformer stage, where as in server jobs we have the same in the transformer as well in the sequence jobs.

Is there any way to implement ICONV/OCONV functions in the parallel jobs in the transformer stage or we need to use a basic transformer to use this function?

Please let me know your views.
Mohsin Khan
Datastage Consultant
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You need to use BASIC Transformer stage if you want to use Iconv() or Oconv() functions.

They are simply not available in the parallel Transformer stage, and never will be.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

You need to learn the Parallel date handling functions, of which there are many. Primarily look into StringToDate() and DateToString() but a quick check of "Appendix B. Parallel Transform functions" in the Parallel Job Developer's Guide should be high on your list as well.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
moalik
Participant

Post by moalik »

Hi Ray/Chulett,

Thanks for the information.
I am really learning most of the things from this forum.

Thanks once again for your time.
Mohsin Khan
Datastage Consultant
arunkumarmm
Participant

Post by arunkumarmm »

ray.wurlod wrote:They are simply not available in the parallel Transformer stage, and never will be. ...
Hi Ray, I was hoping to see these functions in parallel transformer one day, just like ereplace made it in 9.1

Is there any particular reason why you mentioned that they will never be available?
Arun
asorrell

Post by asorrell »

The ICONV and OCONV functions converted data to and from a semi-proprietary internal storage format. Though the internal format made some data manipulations easier (like comparing dates), it takes CPU cycles to do the conversions back and forth.

DataStage PX doesn't use that methodology, so it avoids the overhead of the conversions.
Andy Sorrell
Certified DataStage Consultant
IBM Analytics Champion 2009 - 2020
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

To clarify what Andy has written, the engines (server and parallel) use different internal storage mechanisms.

There's nothing to prevent you from creating parallel routines that perform Iconv() or Oconv() functionality, but that would be re-inventing the wheel - in general there are other ways to achieve the same results in parallel jobs.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
arunkumarmm
Participant

Post by arunkumarmm »

Thanks for the info, Ray & Andy!
Arun