Bulk load

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

bond88
Participant

Bulk load

Post by bond88 »

Hi,
I am using bulk load option in oracle connector on target side and enable partition on source side. I am getting around 30 million records on source side. I just curious to know is there any better way to do transfer in efficient way.

Thank you,
Bhanu
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

If this is Oracle to Oracle you may find that doing the whole thing within Oracle using Oracle utilities is faster.

You may still choose to initiate/control that from DataStage.

If you prefer to use DataStage to design the approach, and you have Balanced Optimizer licensed, try using Balanced Optimizer to (design new jobs that) push some or all of the logic into Oracle.
Last edited by ray.wurlod on Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
SURA
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Bulk load

Post by SURA »

If you are doing any transformation, then write the output in to a text file and find any way to load that file using bulk load command.

I did the same approach in SQL Server.
Thanks
Ram
----------------------------------
Revealing your ignorance is fine, because you get a chance to learn.
bond88
Participant

Post by bond88 »

ray.wurlod wrote:If this is Oracle to Oracle you may find that doing the whole thing within Oracle using Oracle utilities is faster.

You may still choose to initiate/control that from DataStage.

If you prefer to ...
Hi Ray,
Could you please guide me in that direction, how can I initiate/control from DataStage?

Thank you,
Bhanu
bond88
Participant

Post by bond88 »

SURA wrote:If you are doing any transformation, then write the output in to a text file and find any way to load that file using bulk load command.

I did the same approach in SQL Server.
Do you mean first write the entire data to a text file and then load into the oracle table ?

Thank you,
Bhanu
crystal_pup
Participant

Post by crystal_pup »

If your source and target is Oracle, then you can create a job that reads a dummy row from a Row Generator Stage and feeds it to an Oracle Connector Stage. In the Oracle Connector Stage, you can write a INSERT INTO...SELECT ...FROM query.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

bond88 wrote: how can I initiate/control from DataStage?,
Easiest is an Execute Command activity in a sequence to initiate a sqlplus command (script).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
SURA
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by SURA »

bond88 wrote:Do you mean first write the entire data to a text file and then load into the oracle table ?
Yes mine will be a good only if you forced to do some transformation in the Datastage. Otherwise What Ray / others mentioned (to use oralce alone) would be good.
Thanks
Ram
----------------------------------
Revealing your ignorance is fine, because you get a chance to learn.
bond88
Participant

Post by bond88 »

crystal_pup wrote:If your source and target is Oracle, then you can create a job that reads a dummy row from a Row Generator Stage and feeds it to an Oracle Connector Stage. In the Oracle Connector Stage, you can write a INSERT INTO...SELECT ...FROM query.
Thanks Sura.
Bhanu
bond88
Participant

Post by bond88 »

ray.wurlod wrote:Easiest is an Execute Command activity in a sequence to initiate a sqlplus command (script). ...
Thanks Ray.
Bhanu