Reading no of files

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

kennyapril
Participant

Reading no of files

Post by kennyapril »

Hello,

I have a job designed for reading data using sequential stage where I do some transformations and load to new file.

I have around 2000 files to follow the same process, they all have the same layout and they are dated depending on their arrival.

Is there any processto automate this in a parallel job? Please suggest

Thank you
Regards,
Kenny
priyadarshikunal
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by priyadarshikunal »

do you have to read them sequentially, like the one with earliest date should be processed first or the order doesn't matter?
Priyadarshi Kunal

Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped. :wink:
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

The stage supports a wildcard pattern so you could do them all at once. If they need to be loaded individually (one at a time) build a looping Sequence job.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
kennyapril
Participant

Post by kennyapril »

@Priyadarshikunal
Order does not matter

@Chulett
ok, I will use wild card like filename*.txt so that it pulls all the files.
When loading it does not need to be loaded one at a time, new files can be created all at a time.
I will use looping if they need to be loaded one at a time in sequence, if that is the case shall the use the same parallel job in the sequence job and execute it at a time?

Thank you
Regards,
Kenny
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Yes, for a loop you can use 'the same job' as long as it doesn't use a wildcard but instead passes the filename in as a job parameter each time.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
vinnz
Participant

Post by vinnz »

Are you expecting your input files to come in ad-hoc while your job is executing? If not, you could concatenate your files using operating system commands prior to processing using a command stage in the sequence.