Datastage Connectivity to JDBC and JMS

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Inquisitive
Charter Member
Charter Member

Datastage Connectivity to JDBC and JMS

Post by Inquisitive »

Hi

I have basic questions which needs to be answered to make proper Architectural decisions.

I could not get any answers in documentation and I was wondering if any of you can shed some lights on this.

Background:

We have Datastage 7.5 (PX) and RTI installed and they are up and running on Solaris system.

Questions:
We have requirement to read from a source which is basically JDBC. So how can Datastage communicate with JDBC? If we purchase Java Pack would we able to read from JDBC source? Or can we leverage RTI services with external programs for this purpose?
We also have requirements to read through JMS (is it done through Webservices?)

Any information or pointers to get above questions answered would be of great help.

Note: (I am not very familiar with Java and other webservices and terminology. I Basically I am trying to find out How Datastage can Read/Write from/through JDBC and JMS)
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I believe that the Java PACK is your answer for both here, but would need someone more smarter to confirm or deny. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
lstsaur
Participant

Post by lstsaur »

Yes, if you have Java PACK installed, you can use JDBC to read your souce DBs and most of JDBC connection work can be done within the Java PACK's Stage.initialize() method.

As you said that you already got RTI working, You definitley can use the JDBC to communinate with RIT components, in your case, you should be able to read your JMS using SOAP over JMS service interface binding.

If you had Hawk 8.0, it will be even more easier to do all the JDBC stuff thru Websphere App. Server directly.
harikhk
Participant

Post by harikhk »

hi,

How do we know if Java pack is available with my installation or not
Version is 8.7
I can see in Real Time Stages
Java Client and Java Transformer
Thanks,
HK
*Go GREEN..Save Earth*
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

If you have those stage types you have Java PACK installed.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
harikhk
Participant

Post by harikhk »

Thanks Ray for the information
Could you please tell me how can I connect to a DB2 hosted on zos system using JDBC
I am not sure if it is possible to do it or not
Thanks,
HK
*Go GREEN..Save Earth*
SURA
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by SURA »

I am not infront of my system. But i trust you can find the documets like connetivity guide.

Or the below link may help!

http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/sg246435.html
Thanks
Ram
----------------------------------
Revealing your ignorance is fine, because you get a chance to learn.
harikhk
Participant

Post by harikhk »

Thank you so much for the link
I would go through it
Thanks,
HK
*Go GREEN..Save Earth*