Decimal To String Conversion

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

jerome_rajan
Premium Member
Premium Member

Decimal To String Conversion

Post by jerome_rajan »

Hi All,

I am trying to convert a source column with data type -DECIMAL(10) to VARCHAR(10). I realise that this would result in conversion errors since the target length would have to account for the sign and the decimal point in the source.
I'm currently implementing this by converting the datatype in my source SQL using CAST. Can someone please throw light on how I can achieve this conversion in the transformer?

Thanks
Jerome
Data Integration Consultant at AWS
Connect With Me On LinkedIn

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I assume you've tried using the DecimalToString() function, can you detail for us the issues you've had with that? I'd also be curious what your CAST looks like to see how you are handling it there.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
jerome_rajan
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jerome_rajan »

Yes Craig. I tried using the DecimalToString() function but it throws a conversion error and outputs a blank value. Ditto if I increase the target length by 1. But if I make the target length varchar(12), the data loads fine. I assume this is because a decimal outputs 2 additional characters - one for the decimal point and one for the sign. Please correct my understanding here.

As for the conversion in the SQL, I used a

Code: Select all

SELECT CAST(colname AS VARCHAR(10)) FROM TABNAME
Jerome

chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Can you post the actual conversion error? Sorry, just trying to get all of the forensic information here.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
jerome_rajan
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jerome_rajan »

Sure

Code: Select all

Conversion error calling conversion routine string_from_decimal data may have been lost.
Jerome

rsomiset
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rsomiset »

Is '1' the scale for your decimal ? Also, what is the maximum value you are passing when you are getting the error ?? You need to account for minus sign too while calculating the length(i.e. length of decimal + 1) should be your target column length for varchar field to avoid this message.

--
Rajesh
jerome_rajan
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jerome_rajan »

I know I have to account for the Sign and the Decimal as I've already mention in my post. The actual number of digits don't seem to matter. Whether I pass 500 or 1234567890 , the result remains the same. Decimal(10,0) will just not enter varchar(10) without
1. Using a cast and converting it at the source if the source is a database.
2. Increasing the target length by (Precision Of Decimal) + 2

I just want to know if there's a way to handle this scenario in a transformer.
Jerome

FranklinE
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by FranklinE »

Jerome,

I have a standard and successful usage of DecimalToString based on the length+2 principle: choose a standard length for the VarChar that will always be long enough no matter the size of the input column.

I deal exclusively with dollar amounts, so I chose VarChar(22) because that is the length of the destination column for dollar amounts. After accounting for the sign, decimal and cents, it leaves up to 18 bytes for the integer portion of the decimal. No conversion errors at all in these jobs.
Franklin Evans
"Shared pain is lessened, shared joy increased. Thus do we refute entropy." -- Spider Robinson

Using mainframe data FAQ: viewtopic.php?t=143596 Using CFF FAQ: viewtopic.php?t=157872
jerome_rajan
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jerome_rajan »

I get that Franklin as I've already mentioned. My question here is whether this is something that CAN be handled in a transformer and if yes, how?
Jerome

FranklinE
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by FranklinE »

Sorry, Jerome, I misunderstood your question. My code is in the Transformer stage, and I apply it both in the main derivations and in stage variables.
Franklin Evans
"Shared pain is lessened, shared joy increased. Thus do we refute entropy." -- Spider Robinson

Using mainframe data FAQ: viewtopic.php?t=143596 Using CFF FAQ: viewtopic.php?t=157872
jerome_rajan
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jerome_rajan »

Achieved it with a combination of stage variables and substring functions. Thanks
Jerome