FTP Special Characters from Mainframes to Linux

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

adityavinay
Participant

FTP Special Characters from Mainframes to Linux

Post by adityavinay »

Hi All,
I am FTP'ing a file from mainframes to datastage(v8.5) server(linux) which have some special characters in it.

'[' in mainframe file, when FTP'ed are translating to '->' . Have anyone faced any issue with FTP'ing special characters?
In my mainframe file the ebcdic value for '[' is defined as 'BA' , but usually it should be '4A' in order to FTP it as '[' with out any translations.

Do we have to introduce any parameter in FTP stage(Enterprise) to not translate,instead FTP as it is?
i tried using FTP Plug-in stage, FTP'ing file in binary format and changing NLS to IBM1047, but nothing worked out.

Could someone please throw some light on this?

Thanks in advance,
Aditya.
adityavinay
Participant

Re: FTP Special Characters from Mainframes to Linux

Post by adityavinay »

Found the solution. I figured out that the EBCDIC values using on mainframes is of IBM037. I used IBM037 as NLS in datastage FTP stage and Used UNICODE. Sequential file NLS setting is ISO8859-1. All charecters are FTP'ed as is.

Thanks.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Thanks for coming back and posting your solution. Not surprised that it was an NLS issue as there really isn't anything 'special' about the characters you mentioned.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers