Performance Issue

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sriec12
Participant

Performance Issue

Post by sriec12 »

I am facing strange Issue.

First my job is aborting due to ORA-02396: exceeded maximum idle time, please connect again.

Well Coming to my job design.

Step 1: Doing Inner join on 2 tables and I will get 140 million records and I get distinct records ...... finally I get 80 million records.

Step 2: These 80 million records will load some part into one oracle table and some part into data set.

Question 1: Our Oracle maximum idle time is 15 mins................I am running ETL job means I am accessing database ......How it will be failed and throw error as ORA-02396 ? In my view few ETL jobs will run more than 15 or 30 mins to load target database.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

It's not about how long it takes to "load" but rather how long before the first record gets to the target. I'd look into optimizing your source SQL as much as possible.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
sriec12
Participant

Post by sriec12 »

well two oracle connector using join stage to 80 million records.

In each oracle stage its just a simple select statement.

First Oracle connector stage 188 M will be populated in 12 to 13 mins and other oracle connector stage it populates 90 M records in 10 to 12 mins to reach join stage.

One strange thing is both oracle stage is populating one after one another (I mean one stage will pushes all the records to join stage, after that other stage works).........Both connectors will not working parallel......

I am using Array size as 2000 , prefetch row count as 1 and record count as 2000............. please let me know if can i do anything else?
PaulVL
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PaulVL »

Are you using DataStage 8.7? Maybe you can see what Balance Optimizer could do for you?

Throwing the work back onto Oracle might net you better performance for your job.

How long is Oracle taking to build the result set?
sriec12
Participant

Post by sriec12 »

we are using 8.5 ....................is Balance Optimizer any thing called new stage ?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Are those two tables in the same database by chance? Wondering if you really need to be doing the join "in job" and can't tell from what you've posted so far...
-craig

sriec12
Participant

Post by sriec12 »

My bad, Actually two table are on same database oracle

I can use one oracle connector stage to join two tables. The reason for not using is both tables are in huge volume so my understanding is ETL will be more efficient
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

If the join key is indexed in Oracle it is likely that the join will be resolved in the indexes. Get Oracle to EXPLAIN its plan for resolving the join. This is likely to be far more efficient than anything you can accomplish in DataStage, and will involve less network traffic because you only send the result of the join "across the wire".
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

sriec12 wrote:both tables are in huge volume so my understanding is ETL will be more efficient
Generally that would not be true. Suggest you leave the Join stage for when you absolutely need it, i.e. for disparate sources. Now, if the source database is under-powered or over-utilitized and you are just making matters worse there, then move the work to the ETL server.
-craig

sriec12
Participant

Post by sriec12 »

Contacted Database Admin, he gave new user id and pwd.........Our Idle time is 15mins.........Thanks everyone