Teradata Connector bulkload

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

adityavinay
Participant

Teradata Connector bulkload

Post by adityavinay »

Hi,

I am using bulk mode in teradata connector stage for inserting Huge data into target tables. My question is , Does the bulk load behaves based on target table? i mean 1)if target table is empty, does the bulk mode assumes it as fastload ? 2) if target table have data in it does it assume as multiload? How exactly does the bulk load work.

Could some one please throw some light on this.

Thanks,
Aditya.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Bulk load uses whatever you specify in the Load Type property when Access Method is set to "Bulk". This can be "Load" (Fastload), "Update" (Multiload) or "Stream" (TPump). The Teradata Connector stage can even use Fastload if the table is not empty.

For more information read the Connectivity Guide for Teradata Databases in your manuals set or the online help while editing the stage.

Make sure you have enough slots available if you're using Fastload.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
adityavinay
Participant

Post by adityavinay »

Ray,
As you mentioned, Load works as fastload , usually Fast load requires an empty target table to load.
If table action is "append " & Load type is "load"
For the next run target table will contain data from first run. how does it work in that case?

Thanks,
Aditya.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I don't know how it works. Some very clever engineers who wrote the Teradata Connector stage figured out how to get Fastload to append to a non-empty table. That much I learned at an IOD conference, but not the underlying mechanism.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kwwilliams
Participant

Post by kwwilliams »

The Teradata connector does not utilize Fastload, it uses TPT (Teradata Parallel Transporter) for its bulk load. Fastload is a deprecated technology within Teradata and is not encouraged for use. A new Teradata install does not ship with Fastload, it would have to be requested and then would be discouraged.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Hmm, I wonder if that was one of the issues with our upgrade from TD 13.x to 14.0...?