Data manipulation logic

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

devsonali
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by devsonali »

prasannakumarkk wrote:Am not sure whether you checked this environment variable APT_TRANSFORM_COMPILE_OLD_NULL_HANDLING and replied.
Sorry , Yes I think i did not answer this one - This is currently set to False.

- In my code if I use a space instead of Null it works .

Thanks again
devsonali
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by devsonali »

chulett wrote:I don't see anything wrong with the derivation you posted, it should work exactly as you say you need it to. And if you are careful with spreading the derivation to the other columns and ensure you're using the correct input in the check to match the output column I don't see any reason why you wouldn't get the output you need.

Setting the output column column to either a space or a null shouldn't change the behaviour of the job unless there's some other critical piece of information you haven't passed along to us. Why don't we clarify a few things? First you've never specified what your "output" actually is - a record in what - a database table? A flat file? If it is the latter, detail for us the type of file. I'd also be curious what your complete job design is - source, target, intermediate stages, etc. Lastly, let us know how you are testing that this to determine if it works or not...

Obviously we're missing something here because on the surface this looks like a fairly simple problem to solve... just one of a tedious nature to ensure everything is correct. Don't worry about giving us too much information, I'd rather wade through that than make multiple posts pulling little tidbits of information out each time. :wink:

Lastly, I'd like to ask about your 8.5 version - are you current on your fixpacks? You could be doing everything correctly and be the victim of a known issue, hence the question.
Creig I agree that it looks like a simple but tedious job as there are a number of output columns to be populated over and over again using the same logic

Having said that - Yes the Null doesn't work the way it should but the space does the trick - I am still trying to find why this happens and as prasannakumar pointed may be it is something to do with the APT_TRANSFORM_COMPILE_OLD_NULL_HANDLING environment variable set to False (in my case )

- I have tested this both with a comma delimited file , tab delimited file and a dataset as my outputs . However my final output needs to be a comma delimited file .

Design includes Dataset -> Sort - > Transformer -> output file (csv)

Please let me know if I am still not giving any information needed.

Thanks again for your inputs
prasannakumarkk
Participant

Post by prasannakumarkk »

Then setnull should be working in your version. Can you try this make the parameter as true. Use setnull instead of space and check whether it.works as expected
Thanks,
Prasanna
devsonali
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by devsonali »

Sure I will try that and post an update - At present I will mark this topic as resolved at least as a work around.

Thank you